Author Archive

Turkey warns citizens against travel to U.S. in tit-for-tat move

January 15, 2018

January 12, 2018 / 1:50 AM / 3 days ago

ANKARA (Reuters) – Turkey has warned its citizens against travel to the United States, saying Turks face the risk of arbitrary arrest and should take precautions if they do decide to travel, the latest tit-for-tat volley in a diplomatic feud between the NATO allies.

The comments from the Turkish Foreign Ministry come after the U.S. Department of State this week warned U.S. citizens planning to visit Turkey to reconsider due to “terrorism and arbitrary detentions”.

Ties between Washington and Ankara, the biggest Muslim country in NATO and a major U.S. ally in the Middle East, have been strained by a number of disputes in recent months, including the U.S. arrest and conviction of a Turkish banker in an Iran sanctions-busting case.

“Turkish citizens traveling to the United States may be subjected to arbitrary detentions based on testimony of unrespected sources,” the Turkish Foreign Ministry said in a statement dated Thursday.

The trial against the banker included testimony of corruption by senior Turkish officials. Ankara has said it was based on false evidence and supported by the network of Fethullah Gulen, a U.S.-based Turkish cleric Ankara blames for orchestrating a failed coup in Turkey in 2016.

Gulen, who has lived in self-imposed exile in the United States since 1999, has denied the charges and condemned the coup. Turkey has called for his extradition, but the United States says sufficient evidence has yet to be put to a court.

Turkey and the United States suspended issuing visas last year after Washington complained about the detention of two locally-hired consular employees on suspicion of a role in the failed coup. Both countries resumed issuing visas last month.

Turkey also blames Washington for supporting Kurdish fighters in Syria that Ankara sees as allies of a Kurdish group waging an insurgency in Turkey.

Speaking to reporters after Friday prayers, Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim blamed the U.S. travel warning for harming relations.

“The ‘Turkey is not a safe country’ statement does not benefit ties between the two countries,” Yildirim said.

Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu, who is in Los Angeles and will meet with U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on the sidelines of a conference in Vancouver, said he would discuss the matter with his counterpart.

“An ally publishing a travel warning about us is not a serious thing, but we will discuss it with Tillerson in Vancouver,” Cavusoglu said during a televised speech at the Turkish consulate in Los Angeles.

Reporting by Ezgi Erkoyun and Tuvan Gumrukcu; Writing by Daren Butler; Editing by David Dolan

Teenage girl’s face slashed in Paris suburb, anti-Semitism suspected

January 14, 2018

January 13, 2018

https://worldisraelnews.com/teenage-girls-face-slashed-in-paris-suburb-anti-semitism-suspected/

AP/Vadim Ghirda/Illustrative)

An unknown assailant slashed the face of a 15-year-old girl wearing a Jewish school uniform in Sarcelles.

By: Adina Katz, World Israel News

In what French lawmaker Francois Pupponi called “a heinous anti-Semitic attack,” an unknown assailant slashed the face of a 15-year-old Jewish girl in the northern Paris suburb of Sarcelles.

As reported by the Jewish Telegraphic Service (JTA), the attack occurred as the victim was walking home from school on Wednesday, wearing the uniform of her private Jewish school. Her mother told French daily Le Parisien that the girl arrived home bleeding and “shocked.”

The victim said she did not see her attacker’s face, explaining that he ran away immediately after the assault.

“I have no doubt the perpetrators of this attack had anti-Semitic motives,” Pupponi wrote in a statement Friday, JTA reported.

“Faced with these acts, we need to abandon pretense and naiveté,” he added. “In Sarcelles, everybody knows who is a practicing Jew according to the way they dress. Delinquents know it too. When someone slashes a young girl’s face with a utility knife, when she is wearing clothes favored by many women from the Jewish community, then there is no room for doubt.”

The day before the assault on the girl, a kosher grocery market in Creteil, a Paris suburb, was vandalized and torched. The latest in a string of attacks against Jews in France, it included anti-Semitic graffiti and was carried out exactly three years after a deadly Islamic terror attack at the Hyper Cacher market in the French capital, which left four Jews dead.

Albert Elharrar, president of the Creteil Jewish community, said Jewish groups believe the shops were deliberately targeted at the time of commemorations for the 2015 attacks.

“There’s a link between the graffiti and the fire,” he told AFP. “It’s clear that they came for no other reason but to attack a kosher shop on the day of the commemorations.”

French Jews, who constitute the largest Jewish community outside of Israel and the United States, continue to leave France, mainly for Israel. Since 2006, 40,000 French Jews have left the Republic.

 

UK: Police Hunt Down Facebook Users Who Made ‘Offensive’ Comments About Muslim Grooming Gangs Online

January 14, 2018

By – on

https://pamelageller.com/2018/01/police-hunt-offensive.html/

Freedom of Speech in the Age of Jihad

The UK is racing to ruin so fast it’s breathtaking. They banned me for opposing jihad terror, and now they seem intent on shutting down every voice who dares say a critical word about Islam. Sharia in the UK: it’s not rhetoric, it’s reality. Terrorism works. The Muslim rape gangs, operating in accord with Islamic texts and teachings about kaffir women, have won: they avoided prosecution for years because authorities feared to be “racist,” and now the police are tracking down people who point out that the perps are all Muslim.

As jihad roils the UK and the streets are awash in blood, the British government springs into action against those who might insult jihadis and sharia savages.

Astonishing. It’s why the UK is doomed, finished.

“Police Hunt Down Facebook Users Who Made ‘Offensive’ Comments About Muslim Grooming Gangs Online,” by Virginia Hale, Breitbart, January 13, 2018:

Northumbria Police have warned that “offensive” comments on the Internet will not be tolerated, tracking down users who made “potentially criminal” posts on social media about grooming gangs.

The force launched an investigation into comments left on its Facebook page in response to articles about the Operation Shelter scandal, in which young white British girls in were groomed, sexually abused and trafficked by mostly Muslim men of South Asian descent in Newcastle.

Officers made a review of every comment on the page after a member of the public complained that a number of posts referred to the race and religion of the 18 people convicted following the operation.

ChronicleLive reports that police recorded two cases of racially aggravated public order offences among responses to the news articles on Facebook, and have now tracked down six people responsible for posts “deemed to be offensive and potentially criminal”.

A spokesman from Northumbria Police said: “As a result of a complaint, we can confirm we looked into a number of comments posted on the force’s Facebook page.

“Following an investigation, which has now concluded, we spoke to two males as voluntary attenders and visited a further four people in their homes, and provided them with words of advice.

“All expressed their remorse and stated that the intention of their comments was not to cause concern or to be offensive and have acknowledged the words of advice provided.”

The spokesman added: “We would also like to take this opportunity to remind people using social media that they should do so responsibly and ensure they do not post anything which could be considered offensive.”…

Brutal German state propaganda promoting children to be Muslims?

January 14, 2018

H/T http://barenakedislam.com/

Russia: Trump would make ‘big mistake’ by leaving Iran deal

January 13, 2018
Moscow ‘gradually coming to the conclusion that an internal decision by the US to leave the deal has already been made or is close to being made,’ vowing to ‘do everything in its power to save the agreement,’ says deputy foreign minister.
https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5070307,00.html

Russia on Saturday said Washington would be making a grave mistake by pulling out of the Iran nuclear deal, adding that Moscow would work hard to keep the landmark agreement alive.Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov criticized remarks by US President Donald Trump, who on Friday said the US will not reimpose nuclear sanctions on Iran for the moment, but would withdraw later this year unless the terms of the deal are changed.”We are gradually coming to the conclusion that an internal decision by the US to leave the (Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action) has already been made or is close to being made,” Ryabkov said in an interview with Interfax news agency.

Russian President Putin; US President Trump (Photo: Reuters)

Russian President Putin; US President Trump (Photo: Reuters)

“This could be one of Washington’s big foreign policy mistakes, a big miscalculation in American policy,” he said.

Under the hard-won 2015 deal with Russia, the US, China, France, Britain, Germany and the EU, Iran agreed to curb its nuclear program in exchange for lifting of a raft of international sanctions.

Trump on Friday gave an ultimatum to “either fix the deal’s disastrous flaws, or the United States will withdraw.”

America’s allies see the accord as the best way to thwart Iran’s nuclear ambitions and a victory for multilateral diplomacy. Tehran categorically denies it is seeking to develop atomic weapons.

But Trump argues that his predecessor Barack Obama gave away too much to Iran in sanctions relief, without forcing the Islamic republic to end its ballistic missile program and support for militant groups.

Ryabkov said Moscow must unite with Europe and China and undertake “intense work” to keep the existing plan intact and decried what he said was a US attempt to strongarm the situation.

“In what we heard yesterday, I don’t see any invitation for Iran to enter dialogue,” he said. “This defies the logic of the agreement.”

“Russia will do everything in its power to save the agreement,” he said.

The Palestinian Terror Party: Celebrating Murder

January 13, 2018

Trump Issues Ultimatum to ‘Fix’ Iran Nuclear Deal

January 13, 2018
U.S. President Trump holds joint news conference with Norwegian Prime Minister Solberg at the White House in Washington

Reuters

BY:

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/trump-issues-ultimatum-fix-iran-nuclear-deal/

By Steve Holland

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday gave the Iran nuclear deal a final reprieve but warned European allies and Congress they had to work with him to “fix the terrible flaws” of the pact or face U.S. withdrawal.

Trump said he would waive sanctions against Iran lifted as part of the deal but only as a “last chance” and would not do so again. The ultimatum puts pressure on Europeans – key backers and parties to the 2015 international agreement – to satisfy Trump, who has called the deal to curb Iran’s nuclear program “the worst ever.”

Trump wants the deal strengthened with a separate agreement within 120 days or the United States will unilaterally withdraw from the international pact, warning: “No one should doubt my word.”

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif responded on Twitter that the deal was not renegotiable and that Trump’s stance “amounts to desperate attempts to undermine a solid multilateral agreement.”

Trump, who has sharply criticized the deal reached during Democrat Barack Obama’s presidency, had privately chafed at having to once again waive sanctions on a country he sees as a rising threat in the Middle East.

“This is a last chance,” Trump said in a statement. “In the absence of such an agreement, the United States will not again waive sanctions in order to stay in the Iran nuclear deal. And if at any time I judge that such an agreement is not within reach, I will withdraw from the deal immediately.”

Underscoring the difficulty now facing Europeans, a European diplomat, speaking under condition of anonymity, said: “It’s going to be complicated to save the deal after this.”

While Trump approved the sanctions waiver, the Treasury Department announced new, targeted sanctions against 14 entities and people, including the head of Iran’s judiciary.

Trump now will work with European partners on a follow-on agreement that enshrines certain triggers that the Iranian regime cannot exceed related to ballistic missiles, said a senior administration officials who briefed reporters on the decision.

One official said Trump would be open to remaining in a modified deal if it was made permanent.

“I hereby call on key European countries to join with the United States in fixing significant flaws in the deal, countering Iranian aggression, and supporting the Iranian people,” Trump said in the statement. “If other nations fail to act during this time, I will terminate our deal with Iran.”

Republican Senator Bob Corker said “significant progress” had been made on bipartisan congressional legislation to “address the flaws in the agreement without violating U.S. commitments.”

SEVERAL CONDITIONS

Trump laid out several conditions to keep the United States in the deal. Iran must allow “immediate inspections at all sites requested by international inspectors,” he said, and that provisions preventing Iran from possessing a nuclear weapon must not expire. Trump said U.S. law must tie long-range missile and nuclear weapons programs together, making any missile testing by Iran subject to “severe sanctions.”

Trump wants the U.S. Congress to modify a law that reviews U.S. participation in the nuclear deal to include “trigger points” that if violated would lead to the United States reimposing its sanctions, the official said.

This would not entail negotiations with Iran, the official said, but rather would be the result of talks between the United States and its European allies. Work already has begun on this front, the official said.

Analyst Richard Nephew said whether Trump’s conditions could be met depended on whether he wants a face-saving way to live with the nuclear deal with the political cover of tough-sounding U.S. legislation, or whether he really wants the deal rewritten.

Nephew, a former White House and State Department Iran sanctions expert, said legislation could be drafted that might appear to assuage Trump’s concerns but that getting Iran to agree to allow unfettered international inspections or to no time limits on the nuclear deal’s restrictions was impossible.

He said Trump appeared to be looking for the deal to be rewritten in Congress.

“That’s not going to happen,” Nephew said. “If we were walking on a ledge before, now we are on a tightrope.”

Trump has argued behind the scenes that the nuclear deal makes the United States look weak, a senior U.S. official said. The argument for staying in, the official said, was to allow time to toughen the terms of the agreements.

A decision to withhold a waiver would have effectively ended the deal between Iran, the United States, China, France, Russia, Britain, Germany and the European Union. Those countries would have been unlikely to join the United States in reimposing sanctions.

Hailed by Obama as key to stopping Iran from building a nuclear bomb, the deal lifted economic sanctions in exchange for Tehran limiting its nuclear program but Trump has argued that Obama negotiated a bad deal.

PRESSURE FROM EUROPE

Britain, France and Germany called on Trump on Thursday to uphold the pact.

Iran says its nuclear program is only for peaceful purposes and that it will stick to the accord as long as the other signatories respect it but will “shred” the deal if Washington pulls out.

Two EU diplomats said EU foreign ministers will discuss what to do now at their next regular meeting, scheduled for Monday Jan. 22 in Brussels.

The U.S. Congress requires the president to decide periodically whether to certify Iran’s compliance with the deal and issue a waiver to allow U.S sanctions to remain suspended.

Trump in October chose not to certify compliance and warned he might ultimately terminate the accord. He accused Iran of “not living up to the spirit” of the agreement even though the International Atomic Energy Agency says Tehran is complying.

Hard-liners on Iran in the U.S. Congress have called for the reimposition of the suspended sanctions and an end to the nuclear deal, while some liberal Democrats want to pass legislation that would make it harder for Trump to pull Washington out without congressional consent.

Trump and his top advisers have been negotiating with U.S. lawmakers on Capitol Hill to try to change sanctions legislation so that he does not face a deadline on whether to recertify Iranian compliance with the nuclear deal every 90 days.

(Additional reporting by Jeff Mason, Doina Chiacu and David Alexander and Arshad Mohammed in Washington; Robin Emmott in Brussels, John Irish in Paris and Parisa Hafezi in Ankara; Editing by Yara Bayoumy and Bill Trott)