PM dismisses Iranian threat on Tel Aviv: I am not intimidated 

Source: PM dismisses Iranian threat on Tel Aviv: I am not intimidated – Israel Hayom

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards: U.S. lacks courage to fire a single bullet but if they attack us, “we will raze Tel Aviv and Haifa to the ground” • “I do not ignore the threats of the Iranian regime but neither am I intimidated by them,” Netanyahu says.
Reuters and Israel Hayom Staff // published on 12/02/2019
   
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu 


Iran would demolish cities in Israel if the United States attacked, an official representative of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards threatened, Monday.

“The United States does not have the courage to fire a single bullet at us despite all its defensive and military assets. But if they attack us, we will raze Tel Aviv and Haifa to the ground,” Yadollah Javani, the Iranian Revolutionary Guards’ deputy head for political affairs, told the state-run Islamic Republic News Agency.

Video: Reuters

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu dismissed the threat in a statement, Monday.

“I do not ignore the threats of the Iranian regime but neither am I intimidated by them,” he said.

“If this regime makes the awful mistake of trying to destroy Tel Aviv and Haifa, it will not succeed. However, this would be the last anniversary of the revolution that they celebrate. They should take this into account.”

Hundreds of thousands of Iranians marched and some burned U.S. flags to mark the revolution’s 40th anniversary on Monday, as Tehran showed off ballistic missiles in defiance of U.S. efforts to curb its military power.

Soldiers, students, clerics and black-clad women holding small children thronged streets across Iran, many with portraits of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, the Shiite cleric who led an Islamic uprising that toppled the Shah.

State television showed crowds carrying Iranian flags, shouting, “Death to Israel, Death to America” – trademark chants of the revolution.

The Islamic republic has vowed to increase its military strength despite mounting pressure from Western countries to curtail its ballistic missile program.

Those capabilities were on display during the march, including the Qadr F, a ground-to-ground missile with a 1,950-kilometer (1,210-mile) range, Tasnim news agency said.

“We have not asked and will not ask for permission to develop different types of … missiles and will continue our path and our military power,” President Hassan Rouhani said in a speech at Tehran’s Azadi Square.

Today, the United States, its Arab allies and Israel are trying to counter Tehran’s growing influence in the Middle East, where it has proxies in Syria, Lebanon and Yemen.

U.S. President Donald Trump tweeted on Monday that the Iranian government had let its people down.

“Forty years of corruption. Forty years of repression. Forty years of terror. The regime in Iran has produced only #40YearsofFailure. The long-suffering Iranian people deserve a much brighter future,” he posted in both English and Farsi.

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif also responded on Twitter. “#40YearsofFailure to accept that Iranians will never return to submission. #40YearsofFailure to adjust US policy to reality. #40YearsofFailure to destabilize Iran through blood & treasure. After forty years of wrong choices, time for @realDonaldTrump to rethink failed US policy,” he wrote.

Iranians face mounting economic hardships many blame on the country’s clerical leaders, and pictures on social media showed some people also demonstrating against corruption, unemployment and high prices.

“Our presence in the 40th anniversary of the revolution is to show our support for the Islamic republic,” said one sign held by a protester. “But it does not mean we support corruption of some officials and their betrayal of the oppressed people.”

Reuters could not independently verify the pictures.

Last year, Iran cracked down on protests over poor living standards that posed the most serious challenge to its clerical elite since a 2009 uprising over disputed elections.

Prices of basic foodstuffs have soared since Trump withdrew Washington from the 2015 nuclear deal with Iran last year and reimposed sanctions on Tehran.

In January, Rouhani said Iran was dealing with its worst economic crisis since the Shah was toppled.

But he remained defiant on Monday as Iranians recalled the end of a monarch who catered to the rich. “The Iranian people have and will have some economic difficulties, but we will overcome the problems by helping each other,” he said.

Iran also has vast clout in Iraq, where Maj. Gen. Qassem Soleimani, commander of the Quds Force, the overseas arm of the Revolutionary Guards, was frequently photographed guiding Shiite militias in the war against Sunni Islamic State terrorists.

 

Explore posts in the same categories: Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s