Holding the West Hostage With the Threat of More Nuclear Research for Peaceful Purposes

IRAN has issued a clear warning to signatories of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) nuclear deal, threatening to once again build up its arsenal unless economic ties with Tehran are guaranteed.


Iran wants more guarantees now that the US is imposing sanctions (Image: GETTY)

By DAN FALVEY
PUBLISHED: 03:02, Sat, Sep 1, 2018 | UPDATED: 03:05, Sat, Sep 1, 2018
The Express

Source Link: Iran threatens to WITHDRAW from nuclear pact and DEMANDS more guarantees from signatories

{Imagine the threats if Iran really had the bomb…assuming they do not. – LS}

Iranian Foreign Minister, Javad Zarif, warned on Thursday his country was willing to pull out of the agreement if those within the nuclear deal did not honour the terms of the pact.

His statement comes after Donald Trump reintroduced sanctions on the Middle Eastern country and threatened to impose sanctions on any companies from other countries doing business with Tehran.

Writing on Twitter, Mr Zarif threatened: “If preserving JCPOA is the goal, then there is no escape from mustering the courage to comply with commitment to normalise Iran’s economic relations instead of making extraneous demands.

“Being the party to still honoUr the deal in deeds & not just words is not Iran’s only option.”

The UK, US, Russia, France, China, and Germany all signed the agreement in 2015 which aims to limit the country’s nuclear capabilities.

It was also signed by Trump’s predecessor, Barack Obama, but the Republican pulled out of the agreement earlier this year.

Trump has argued the Iran nuclear agreement is too lenient and called for tougher sanctions to be imposed on the rogue state.

The US President has previously called the agreement “not a fair deal” and claimed: “It’s a deal that should have never ever been made.”

The remaining signatories of the JCPOA have all tried to reassure Iran they remain committed to the agreement, but the Middle East regime wants more guarantees.

A €50million (£45million) international aid package was adopted for Iran by the European Commission last week in an attempt to prove their intention to uphold the deal.

Further, a joint statement released at the start of last month by the EU foreign policy chief, Federica Mogherini, and the foreign ministers of France, Germany and the UK said the deal was “crucial” for international security.

It said: “We are determined to protect European economic operators engaged in legitimate business with Iran, in accordance with EU law and with UN Security Council resolution 2231.

“This is why the European Union’s updated Blocking Statute enters into force on 7 August to protect EU companies doing legitimate business with Iran from the impact of US extra-territorial sanctions.”

Those countries involved in the agreement are desperate to ensure firms continue to trade with Iran rather than listen to the threats from the US.

Trump has warned companies doing business with Iran: “Individuals or entities that fail to wind down activities with Iran risk severe consequences.”

Explore posts in the same categories: Iran - sanctions

Tags:

You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s