Iran unveils new short-range Fateh ballistic missile

Source: Iran unveils new short-range Fateh ballistic missile – Middle East – Jerusalem Post

The latest Fateh missile called the Al-Mobeen or “The Divine Conquest.”

BY ANNA AHRONHEIM
 AUGUST 13, 2018 14:22
Missiles and a portrait of Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei in Tehran, Iran

Iran has unveiled a new generation of short-range Fateh missiles just days after the Islamic Republic fired a Fateh 110 ballistic missile, the first launch of a ballistic missile in over a year.

The new generation of Fateh missiles was unveiled by Defense Minister Brig.-Gen. Amir Hatami who said that the new agile and precise tactile stealth missile was able to evade enemy radar, Iran’s semi-official Tasnim news agency reported.

View image on Twitter

Mahdi Bakhtiari@Mahdiibakhtiari

🔴فوری یک موشک جدید با نام رونمایی کرد.
این موشک از نسل است که دقیق ترین موشک ایران است.

According to Tasnim, Hatami said that the latest Fateh missile called the Al-Mobeen or “The Divine Conquest” and is expected to have a range of 300-500 km has already been tested and will boost Iran’s defensive capabilities.  He stressed that Iran would not stop enhancing their missile capabilities.

“As I had promised the Iranian nation, I will spare no effort to boost the country’s missile capabilities and we will certainly increase our missile power everyday,” Hatami said, adding that “with a powerful, smart and up-to-date defense industry, we will be able to preserve peace and stability, and today, the enemies are fully aware of the Islamic Republic’s defense power.”

“Be sure that the greater the pressures and psychological warfare against the great nation of Iran, our will to enhance our defense power in all fields will increase,” he added.

On Sunday, Fox News reported that Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRG) fired a third generation Fateh-110 in an anti-ship configuration from Iranian soil, crossing part of the Strait of Hormuz before impacting a desert test range 100 miles away.

According to the report, the launch from the IRGC’s base in Bandar-e-Jask in southeastern Iran  was detected by US spy satellites is believed to have occurred last week during an IRGC naval exercise.

Iran is said to have conducted over 20 missile tests since 2015 claiming that they are legitimate and defensive in nature.

Despite new US sanctions placed on Iran last week meant to pressure Tehran over its military activity in the Middle East and its ballistic missile program, Tehran is continuing to improve its missile arsenal.

The Islamic Republic possesses more than 1,000 short- and medium-range ballistic missiles and has the ability to proliferate weapons to countries and non-state actors such as Hezbollah on Israel’s northern border and Hamas in the Gaza Strip.

On Monday the Commander of the Iranian Army Ground Force Brig.-Gen. Kiomars Heidari said Tehran was ready and willing to provide weapons and other military equipment made in Iran to “friendly and brotherly countries.”

“Today, the Armed Forces and the Army Ground Force are self-sufficient in all defense arenas and we can supply the friendly and brotherly countries with these defensive capabilities,” he was quoted by Fars News as telling reporters in Tehran.

It is estimated that Hezbollah has some 30,000 rockets with a range of 10 kilometers, another 40,000 with a range of 40 kilometers, some 200 rockets with a range of 300 kilometers, and only about 10 rockets with a range of up to 500 kilometers.

Israel is concerned that Iran is not only trying to consolidate its grip in Syria where it could establish a forward base to attack Israel, but that it is trying to build an advanced weapons factories in Syria and Lebanon in order to manufacture GPS-guided missiles that could hit targets with greater accuracy.

Israel has reiterated its view several times on any transfer of advanced weaponry to Hezbollah as a “red line” and will work to prevent any such movement.

While the IDF confirms nor denies the strikes, as is their policy regarding foreign reports on purported Israeli strikes, it has admitted to striking over 100 targets in Syria over the past five years. It is suspected of carrying out hundreds of others.

Explore posts in the same categories: Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s