Iran preparing satellite launches despite US warnings

Source: Iran preparing satellite launches despite US warnings | The Times of Israel

Washington says space initiative defies UN resolution by advancing technology that could be used to develop long-range ballistic missiles

A picture from the official website of the Iranian Defense Ministry claims to show the launch of a satellite-carrying rocket on July 27, 2017. (Iranian Defense Ministry)

A picture from the official website of the Iranian Defense Ministry claims to show the launch of a satellite-carrying rocket on July 27, 2017. (Iranian Defense Ministry)

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran’s president said Thursday the Islamic Republic soon will send two new satellites into orbit using Iran-made rockets, despite US concern the launch could help further develop its ballistic missiles.

President Hassan Rouhani’s comments, during a commemoration for the late President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, confirmed the rocket launches would take place.

Iran typically displays achievements in its space program in February, during the anniversary of the 1979 Islamic Revolution. This year will mark the 40th anniversary of the revolution, which saw the Persian monarchy of Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi replaced by the Islamic Republic overseen by a Shiite cleric.

“Soon, in the coming weeks, we will send two satellites into space using our domestically-made rockets,” Rouhani said, without elaborating.

Previously, Iran has sent several short-lived satellites into orbit over the past decade, and in 2013 launched a monkey into space. The US and its allies worry the same satellite-launching technology could be used to develop long-range missiles.

President Hassan Rouhani speaks at a ceremony to mark the second anniversary of the death of former Iranian president Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, in Tehran, Iran on January 10, 2019. (Iranian Presidency Office via AP)

Last week Iran said country’s three new satellites have successfully passed pre-launch tests.

Earlier in January, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Iran’s plans for sending satellites into orbit demonstrate the country’s defiance of a UN Security Council resolution that calls on Iran to undertake no activity related to ballistic missiles capable of delivering nuclear weapons.

Iran insists the launches do not violate the resolution.

Meanwhile Thursday, Iran began an annual air drill in central parts of the country.

The state-run IRNA news agency said dozens of fighter jets, bombers and transportation planes are taking part in the 2-day maneuver. It said beside US-made F-14, F-5 and F-4 fighter jets of the shah’s era, the Russian-made MiG-29 fighter jet as well as the Iranian-made Saegheh fighter will participate in the annual war game.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo gestures during a press conference with Jordan’s foreign minister in Amman on January 8, 2019. (Andrew Caballero-Reynolds/Pool/AFP)

Drones, laser-guided rockets and heavy smart bombs also will be used, said Gen. Amir Angizeh, the maneuver’s spokesman.

Pompeo is currently touring the Mideast to promote the White House’s tough stance on Iran and to assure America’s Arab allies that the Trump administration is not walking away from the region.

On Wednesday, Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, called Washington officials “first-class idiots” in unusually harsh remarks that reflect the broader tension between Iran and the US after President Donald Trump withdrew America from Tehran’s nuclear deal with world powers.

 

Explore posts in the same categories: Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s